Friday, June 20, 2008

Is your insurance up to date?

So Friday afternoon I was washing my hands in the bathroom and heard a gurgling sound coming from the bathtub. I pulled the shower curtain back to reveal a muddy goo spewing from the bathtub drain.

"What the #**#@!~!!!"

I rushed to my phone frantically calling my land-lord over and over! No answer. So I called the plumbers who, thankfully, rushed over immediately. They could not fix the problem so they called their Super Plumber friend. Super Plumber showed up, ran a super camera down the pipes and super diagnosed that a freakin' tree had grown into the freakin' ancient pipes!!! We walked down into the playroom in the basement so that he could check the sump pump in the laundry room and again....

"What the #**#@!~!!!"

The whole basement was flooded with raw sewage!!!!!!

We spent the week between hotels and my in-laws apartment while our yard was being dug up to replace all of the old piping and HAZ MAT crews came in to depoop the house and throw out every single possession we had in the basement!

After cataloguing each item we lost the grand total came out to above $5000!!! Luckily we have insurance. I am now a HUGE fan of renters insurance!






Can anyone tell me why this crazy HAZ MAT guy is smiling? Scott believes it's because he's planning on pawning all of our possessions instead of throwing them away!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

OH MY GOSH! That is the GROSSEST thing I have ever heard!! HOW AWFUL!!! WoW - you should have crashed at our place!

So is the insurance going to reimburse the whole thing? That would be great...

Katie said...

SICK!! it is a good thing you have renters insurance. Maybe the guy really likes cleaning poop!

Heather said...

It really was sick and gross and awful! Insurance is going to cover most. Anything left over we will probably go after our land-lord for.
Katie- I really was wondering, while watching that crazy Bolivian, if he liked cleaning up such nastiness! He seemed to like his job way to much!

Camilla said...

ewww!! I hope that your house doesnt smell now from it all... yucky! I am soooooo glad that you had insurance. its a bit creepy how much that guy likes his job!

Heather said...

Nope. Nothing smelly. Those happy HAZ MAT guys are very thorough. We had all sorts of machines in our home for almost a week defunking our home. It's completely sanitized and germ free now.