Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In a state of constant manipulation

As a parent you become a manipulator. You manipulate your children into going to bed when they want to play. You manipulate your husband into still thinking your as hot as you were the first day you met even though your ass is flat and your over-nursed goodies are deflated. Or maybe you just manipulate yourself into thinking he thinks your still that hot. You manipulate yourself into not eating that extra scoop of chocolate peanut-butter ice cream and you manipulate your friends into thinking you live a much more interesting life than you really do, because lets face it as a mommy the majority of your time is spent either cleaning or refereeing.

Enter the great corn and peas battle of 2008
I run a day care from my home. So, I spend the day covered in drool, snot and food. Don't be jealous it's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds. Any-hoo... I watch a little guy who absolutely refuses to eat anything but peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. Now this is a problem considering his mother is a big health nut nutritionist. So, I decided to serve peas and corn with our lunch. Every kid likes one or the other...right? As I was scooping the delicious vegetables onto each plate this little guy started to whine.

Picky: aeaeaaeaewww.
Me: What's wrong sweetie?
Picky: I...don't... like... peas!
Me: Well they are so good for you and make you strong...like your Dad. Don't you want to be strong like your dad?
Picky: Huff huff huff huff. I don't like corn!
Me: Oh... but it's so good. Try some you'll like it.
Picky Agger mfff aeaeaeaeaewww!!! (Which of-course in toddler speak means @#*!**##*)

Now my 2 1/2 year old daughter was watching this battle between me and picky and decided she should intervene with a few manipulation tactics she has learned from her dear, sweet and of-course perfect parents.

Daughter: (Batting her eyelashes) I love peas and corn.
Picky: Hmphf.
Daughter: It's yummy. I eat it every, every day. (Not True)
Picky: Hmm.
Daughter: It tastes like candy. It's a candy vegetable!
Picky: Really?
Daughter: Yeah! I think all of my friends should eat candy vegetables. (still batting eyelashes)

That picky little guy cleared his plate faster than I could have believed. Eating every single bite of those candy vegetables.
After he finished he smiled proudly at my daughter who then turned to me and said, "Look it! I made him eat them all gone!"

I'm not sure if I should be proud or terrified.

0 comments: